Delaware Academy for School Leadership
UDEL Principal Preparation Program
UDEL PPP: Principal Preparation Program
A University of Delaware Course of Study leading to Assistant Principal & Principal Certification in Delaware
Are you an educator interested in becoming an assistant principal or principal?
If so, consider applying to become a member of the University of Delaware Principal Preparation Program Cohort V. This program offers an alternative route to achieving certification in less than 18 months. Cohort V will kick off in July 2019 and all Cohort V members are expected to complete program requirements by December 2020.
UDEL PPP participants are engaged in action research through University of Delaware coursework while completing leader internships with principal mentors who have a proven track record of success. Prior to completing the program, participants have opportunities to practice and receive feedback regarding Delaware’s Performance Appraisal System (DPAS II) and exit the program as credentialed evaluators of educators.
The UDEL PPP Cohort V online application will be available October 1, 2018 and will remain available through January 4, 2019. The application can be started and saved for later submission. Please contact Alison Travers with any questions about the UDEL Principal Preparation Program, the Cohort V application process or for technical support: firstname.lastname@example.org or (302)500-7033.
“As a Cohort, I Graduate of the University of Delaware’s Principal Preparation Program, I am confident that I have received the right training to tackle the challenges of 21st century Educational Leadership to assure for success for all learners.”
Nathalie Princilus, New Castle County Vo-Tech School District
UDEL PPP Curriculum & Components:
The UDEL PPP is designed around five core competencies that are fully aligned with the Professional Standards for Educational Leaders (PSEL) and the National Educational Leadership Preparation (NELP) standards:
- Vision and Goals
- Teaching, Learning and Community Supports for Students
- People, Professional Staff, Families, and Community
- Systems, Operations, and Management
- Professional Norms and Ethics
We help students cultivate these through:
- Four core courses: Leadership for Today’s Students and Schools; Leadership in Curriculum and Instruction; Leadership for People, Systems & Operations; and Early Childhood Leadership;
- All coursework delivered in a statewide cohort model utilizing a blended learning technique;
- Two internship experiences totaling 240+ hours;
- DPAS II for Teachers credentialing and practice;
- Focused Action Research project to develop the individual as a school leader;
- Seminars on current trends and issues in educational leadership;
- One year of leadership coaching following program completion & upon hire in a school leadership position
UDEL PPP Cohort V Admission Requirements:
UDEL PPP candidates must submit:
- Transcripts from an accredited institution of higher learning indicating the candidate has earned a master’s degree, and a grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale;
- Evidence of leadership in current and previous educator roles;
- Formative and summative performance evaluations demonstrating excellence in teaching for a minimum of five (5) years*;
- A writing sample; and
- Three letters of recommendation (including one from a current supervisor)
*Candidates with 3+ years will be considered; however, certification in the State of Delaware requires 5 years of teaching experience.
Congratulations, UDEL PPP Cohort II Graduates!
Assistant Principal, Laurel High School, Laurel School District (2018)
Assistant Principal, Silver Lake Elementary School, Appoquinimink School District (2018)
Assistant Principal, Richardson Park Learning Center, Red Clay Consolidated School District (2018)