Delaware Academy for School Leadership
The Mathematics Department at a Glance
Click on each specialist to find more information.
The PDCE Mathematics department members recognize that mathematics is a critical language for making sense of our world. Our team of experienced mathematics educators and researchers in mathematics education incorporate principles of adult learning theory and an adaptive in-classroom coaching model to support K-12 teachers and school leaders in identifying, facilitating, and sustaining high quality learning in mathematics. Educators and students emerge better prepared to persevere in making sense of essential mathematical concepts and procedures aligned to the Delaware mathematics content and practice standards.
- Workshops and follow-up coaching based on current research and instructional strategies in K – 12 mathematics education
- Intensive classroom planning and instructional support to unveil conceptual and procedural ways of knowing
- Emphasizing mathematical practices to shift responsibility for mathematical thinking from teachers to students
- District, school, and classroom level data analysis to inform decisions about work in classrooms and professional learning communities
- Raising awareness for school leaders regarding high leverage look-fors in mathematics classrooms
- Collaboration with Delaware Department of Education and other organizations focused on developing mathematics education
- Saturday math classes and summer camps for children
Current Partners: (POSSIBLY OMIT THIS SECTION)
Conceptual Teaching and Real Time Coaching in Mathematics Laboratory Classrooms
In ten schools across three districts we create learning opportunities for teachers, coaches, and administrators to increase the conceptual understanding of teachers and the opportunities for conceptual learning for students through online modules, in-class coaching, and summer learning opportunities
- Brandywine School District: PS DuPont Middle School, Talley Middle School, Brandywine High School, Mt Pleasant High School, and Springer MS;
- Colonial School District: Building coaches for every school K-12;
- Laurel School District: Laurel Middle School and Laurel High School;
- Red Clay School District: AI du Pont MS, AI du Pont HS, Stanton MS
Mathematics Associates and coaches have undertaken both professional development and intensive coaching work with multiple priority and focus schools:
- Brandywine: Carrcroft Elementary School, Claymont Elementary School, and PS du Pont Middle School;
- Laurel: Laurel Middle School;
- Red Clay: Richardson Park ES, Warner ES, Shortlidge Academy; and
- Woodbridge Middle school.
Our work in each of these schools will make an impact on the most struggling learners and teachers with the most complex issues to address.
- Harlan ES and Maple Lane-Brandywine: intensive coaching, PLC support, data analysis, and data-driven instruction focused on Number Talks, conceptual teaching and learning, and much more
- William Penn HS-Colonial: Support for instructional coach and classroom teachers through Real Time Coaching Rounds and PLCs.
- Brandywine and Red Clay School Districts facilitation of textbook adoption through the creation of a shared vision for secondary teaching and learning.
- Lake Forest School District: Intensive and personal real-time coaching, SAT training, Core Plus implementation, and curriculum development.
Saturday Math Link
Watch Faith Muirhead, Senior Associate Director of Mathematics for PDCE speak at TEDx on “Should We Stop Trying So Hard to Teach?”.